Monday, August 31, 2009

Accident prone or just stupid….

This weekend I crafted a table. A few years back my stepmother gave me some bedside tables that she was getting ride of because the interior decorator said they must go. She wasn’t wrong that interior decorator they are awful and way out dated. They are basically pressed partial board in the shape of a circle at the top and the idea is you cover them with some kind of mini tablecloth that goes to the ground. At any rate knowing me she thought maybe I could do something with them. I tackled the first one when I first got them because at the time I was really in to mosaics with the little half glass marble things. So I made a pattern with the little half marbles of flowers and vines and grouted it and gave it to my sister for an out side table. At the time she had a covered porch but since then it was on a 100% none covered porch and the legs basically melted in to nothing. I took of the top and just sat it on a little table and it works just as well but as you might guess its been though the ringer and its looking pretty beat up. So the other day I found the other table and I thought you know I need a project and why not tackle this again. This time I wanted to do mirrors but like a shit load of tiny circle mirrors I thought that would be really cool until I priced a shit load of tiny circle mirrors. So after much deliberation I thought no I will just paint something cool on the top and then spray a clear coat to protect it and be done but even as I had the thought I knew I was cheating the table. So I went to home depot and walked around for inspiration and what do you know I found it. You can by like 6 foot X foot square mirrors for like 10 bucks and even the grout is half as cheap at home depot then at the craft stores (I know this but tend to forget it when its time for a new project). So I got every thing I needed and went home to get to work. And the first thing that needed to be done was to shatter all these mirrors in to little pieces I could glue to the top of the table in random patterns. This is were I thought to my self now am I really accident prone or am I just really stupid. There I was bear foot and with now gloves in fact I had a short sleeve shirt on and shorts so very little of my body was protected and by just cotton fabric which would not have done much. And I am slamming a hammer in to mirror, which is just treated glass, and it is going everywhere. When I was done smashing the mirrors my first thought was ok now how am I going to get up and walk any were when there is broken glass every were. Also very stupid was not wearing gloves when I sorted though all the smashed glass and glued them to the table. Then the final challenge was grouting some how I did this whole project with out one cut. But really a normal person would think of safety but not me no no who needs safety I mean hell I got annoyed when the guy at home depot said I should get a mask if I was going to spray paint.

1 comment:

  1. Well, the table turned out amazing, and you didn't get cut along the way, so who cares if you weren't Miss Safety? I do wish I could have been there to see the whole smashing-of-the-mirrors thing.

    ReplyDelete